The 5 Best Restaurant Management Software in 2021 and the Features You Need
Restaurant POS Hardware. Oracle MICROS restaurant POS hardware is built to last. It stands up to heat, cold, spills, drops, heavy use—everything the industry demands.
The Food & Beverage industry is a constantly evolving playing field. Practices that were acceptable just a few years ago are quickly becoming phased out in favor of faster and more efficient methods of operation.
One aspect of restaurant operation that has seen the most change is that of restaurant management software. Every day new systems pop up that are able to do certain tasks in a fraction of the time and with more precision than what was previously achievable.
Restaurant management software, when done the right way, is a sure-fire way to ensure a restaurant's success.
Whether it be by choosing the best Restaurant POS Software or even an inventory management software that saves you hours of headache, restaurant management software is something that shouldn’t be skimped out on at your restaurant.
Point of Sale System (POS)
In the past, a good POS system was inexpensive, easy to use, and had one primary function – processing sales and transactions.
Nowadays, POS systems are one the most powerful forms of restaurant management software a restaurant can have at its disposal.
Modern POS systems act as a computer/cash register hybrid, with the ability to process credit card payments, print receipts, display information on a user-friendly screen and operate as a service station.
With advancements in technology, formerly bulky tabletop POS systems are moving towards tablets such as iPads for increased portability.
Features you need from your POS system are:
- Ability to calculate cash for each order entered throughout the day
- Make note of cash in and cash out
- Create sales reports for various periods of time
- Record payment methods of each guest
- Calculate payroll data
- Record check averages daily
- Keep track of sales metrics
- Record and store information on recurring customers
Each POS system is different from the other based on the software, applications, and hardware.
When looking for a new POS system for your restaurant, make sure to do sufficient research based on the restaurant’s wants and needs. Keep in mind most POS companies will allow you to try the system out for free before purchasing.
A few things to consider when choosing a POS system:
- Ease of use: A POS system that requires extensive training might not be the right one for you. This will lead to frustration from not only the employees but also customers who are left waiting for certain transactions to process.
- Price and quality: Make sure you know your business inside and out before purchasing a POS system. A modern system can be very costly and hence it should be able to handle your business volume and individual restaurant specifications to make it a worthwhile purchase.
- Necessary components: In addition to purchasing the software itself, do not forget to get the necessary hardware components. These include parts such as the screen monitor and any portable terminal that is linked to the main unit.
- Data tracking: Your POS system should contain all the programs required for not only the front-of-house calculations but everything related to the back of houses such as inventory reports and financial tracking.