Is it a good idea to work for a startup in 2020?
The idea of startinga startup and the setbacks.
I feel that working for startup’s in any era will always be an adventure. Most startup’s are focused on business models and technologies/services that are relavent to that year.
No one wants to start something that is an age old thing - there is always some innovative factor.
Working in startup’s depends on your area of work, your role in the organisation and your inclination towards it. Not everyone is happy in a startup.
Startup go through a lot of turmoil eventually cause you to lose you focus on your core area of interest. There will be a lot of things that are put in your plate.
Join a startup:
- If you want to work on new technologies and be a part of innovative business models
- If you love taking challenging work
- If you are looking beyond the paycheck and interested in exploring new ideas along with your colleagues
- If you are willing to bump the 9 to 5 work schedule and enjoy work during any time of the day [ that does not mean you will lose your work life balance]
- If you are willing to risk your job security factor in return for great experience. Not all startup’s last forever.
- If you are willing to take new challenges in your job every day!
- If you are willing to get out of your comfort zone in doing something extra in your career.
Why do many freshers feel like they are not suitable for a startup after working for 1 month?
The Industry - Academia Gap is one thing that many are already talking about, and it is one of the key factors that most freshers feel that they are not suitable for a startup or vice-versa.
Another major factor that I have observed is the lack of patience, determination and grit. Most freshers feel that graduation means they have sufficient knowledge about how many things work - especially in the engineering department. They underestimate the GAP that many are talking about.
Also, the academia curriculum is more focused on a assignments and exams which follow a typical pattern - which is necessary, but some habits need to be unlearnt after graduation.
Every student who comes out of a college is going to get a unique job as compared to his batchmates. In such a scenario, determination, grit and the readiness to learn new things at a faster pace is more important. In startup’s even experienced and intelligent people have a hard time, freshers are still excused.
To survive in a startup environment, everyone needs to stay on their toes, have their learning caps on and should always ready to push harder on their job. Giving up is not an option.