Have you been trying to get healthy and encountering obstacles in your wellness journey?
Food as medicine can help!
We can simplify our diet for a period of time in a therapeutic way to kick start our wellness journey.
I do a reset periodically over the course of the year when I feel like I am out of balance and need a reboot.
“Enjoying your food is very important, because to enjoy something is how we connect to the world, to one another, to our inner being”. – Edward Espe Brown
Do you feel like you are enjoying your food these days?
Part of feeling off balance can be related to the way that we eat. Mindless eating can lead to overeating, gut issues, and even mental health challenges.
When we are truly present with the experience of eating our food, it is easier to listen to our body and trust its messages about the nourishment it needs.
RESET YOUR EATING
I like to start a dietary simplification with 10 days of eliminating the following: caffeine, alcohol, dairy, flours, gluten, and all sweeteners.
If I am feeling extra energized after 10 days, I may continue for 2 to 3 weeks.
This practice gives me the clarity I need to identify imbalances in my body and restore balance.
Try to eat this meal for lunch and dinner during a reset time.
1. Choose your favorite bowl. Let this be your eating bowl for the week. Take it with you to work.
2. Cook grains, for example quinoa and amaranth or kasha. Cook them in chicken/beef broth if you can.
3. Chop and steam sweet potatoes, beets, rutabaga and carrots.
4. Chop cabbage, chard, and kale. Sauté for 10 minutes with olive oil, garlic, a bit of kelp, and salt.
5. Take a 1/3 cup of each (grains, roots, greens) and place them in your favorite bowl.
6. Add 1/3 cup of meat/fish/eggs OR 2 tablespoons of seeds. Add more meat to maintain weight.
7. Drizzle with flax/olive oil and lemon juice, salt and pepper.
8. Add one of the sauces listed below if you like. You can also garnish with lacto-fermented vegetables.