How to Write Your First Tech Blog
Tips you'll need to know to get started!
3 years ago | 3 min read
- It might be hard to write a technical blog if you have never done it before.
- You could even be thinking, “Where do I even begin?” If you find yourself in this situation, the purpose of this blog is to guide you in breaking down the entire procedure into something more simply consumable.
- The actual writing process will be much easier if you understand some of the basic building blocks.
Idea and Research
- Figure out what it is you are writing about.
- Research and see what has already been done on the subject you are wanting to address.
- Collect all the useful pieces of information and consolidate them into one.
- Structure your Blog post like this:
- Cover Photo
- It is one of the first things that your readers will be looking for when searching for information related to their problem.
- According to research, 80% of readers read only headlines, 8 out of 10 people will read the title only, and only 2 out of 10 will read the rest.
- Numbers in titles are great because our brains are geared towards thinking logically. For example, a blog named "10 Best Chrome Extensions for Web Developer" will tend to get way more engagement.
- Addressing your reader in the title will also get more viewer recognition because it feels more personal.
- Starting your title with How-to is also a great way to appear well in Google's search because many people type "How" into Google while searching.
- The cover photo is just as important as the title of your blog. It should match your topic, be clean, and of good quality.
- Use sites like Unsplash, Pixabay, and Pexels for free high-quality stock photos.
- Write a brief introduction about your blog to give an abstract of the topic to the reader.
- You can also discuss how you came about the problem and how you solved it.
- Write about what inspired you to write the blog on that topic.
- This is where the true substance of your material will be found, and where readers will spend the most time.
- Here are a few things to keep in mind and that your reader will enjoy.
- Use images to express your idea. Sometimes words are not enough to understand. For example, if you want to explain grids in CSS, just insert an image that demonstrates the structure of a grid.
- Images can also assist to break up what may appear to be an infinite sea of words.
- Some blogs, mainly those that are longer than 10 minutes, might benefit from the addition of an image. This gives your reader's eyes a rest.
Short and Sweet
- Shorter the blog the better. And technical blogs do not need to be very long.
- Write in a straightforward manner to convey your point.
- Give your reader what they want in a short period of time.
- Use links in the necessary places.
- Don't use too many links in your blog.
Make it Easy
- The goal of this technical blog is to make it as simple as possible for everyone to comprehend and grasp the concept.
- This is where you summarize everything that you have written in the body of the blog.
- Wrap up the conclusion to 3-6 sentences in length.
- Re-read and re-check your work to make sure everything is okay.
- Check grammatical and technical mistakes.
- Take feedback from your friend, co-worker, or family member.
- So now you have it, a few easy steps to assist you to get started on your first publication in the correct path.
- Hopefully, you can take something valuable away from this when you start writing your own blog.
- Don't be concerned if your first one isn't great; as with anything new, practice makes perfect.
- Give your views and feedback, and don't forget to share this article with someone who could benefit from it!
- Best of luck!